Saturday, May 9, 2015

Miniskirts not for me –Essence

Essence
Singer, Essence, tells ‘Nonye Ben-Nwankwo about her style and why she would rather not have a tattoo
Most ladies say their style is different from their fashion, is it so for you?

No. My style and fashion are the same. If you have a particular style, you will not be swayed by fashion change. If you know what complements you, the colours that suit you and the cut of the materials that fit your physique and enhances your best asset, then that is your style. It will then determine your fashion sense. As for me, my style and my fashion sense are together. I will definitely not wear half mini skirt and ‘show belle’ because I don’t have any belle to show.



But midriff clothes are in vogue, would it be a bad idea if you show a bit of skin?

Why would I wear such? At my age?

But everybody is wearing it no matter the age…

You will look stupid wearing such when you have grown past the age. If you read top style magazines, you would be told how to wear certain things at certain age. There are clothes you wear when you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s and certainly, there are some you also wear in your 50s and 60s and so on. So why would somebody who is above 30 wear midriff when they are not exercising? I agree there are some that would show just a bit of flesh. It is okay. But the one I don’t like is what you wear when you don’t have six packs. I cannot start baring my midriff now, no way.

Why don’t you wear miniskirts?


I want to be comfortable and as a Warri girl is concerned and as a Naija babe, anything can happen at any time, so you ought to be ready and be able to move fast when the situation arises.

So what do you like wearing?

I prefer wearing trousers. Nowadays, I love floor-sweeping outfit. It is more elegant. You just wear one piece and you are okay and not when you start separating bottoms and tops.

For your trousers, would you prefer tight-fitted pants or loose pants?

It depends on my mood. I can wear loose trousers but they have to be tailored very well. If you wear a pair of loose trousers that is not well cut, you will end up looking like a ‘corodone.’ If you wear too tight pants, you might end up looking like a sausage. So your tailor has to be wise.

Do you buy already made dresses or you have tailors/designers that make your clothes?

I buy my dresses. I have a friend that has a boutique and she has nice stuffs. She is a gospel artiste. Her name is Annie. I patronise her a lot because she always has things I love.

Is there a particular reason you don’t have a tattoo?

Just to go to the hospital and take an injection is a problem for me. So how then can I go and tell somebody to be piercing my skin? I cannot bear pain. It looks fine on some people. But then, how can I draw flower on my skin? Wouldn’t it wither?

Can you remember the fashion mistakes you have made?

I made plenty mistakes. Is there really anybody who would say she didn’t make any fashion mistake or had fashion mishap? It is all part of the learning process. If you don’t make mistake, you will not get better. There is nobody that would tell you she was born a fashionista. Fashion sometimes comes from mistakes. Something you consider a mistake might become a trend in future. Remember there was this thing we used to call ‘colour riot.’ But then, it became ‘colour blocking’ and it started trending.

Hair extension is also trending, do you invest in such?

If I put together the money I have used in buying hair extensions, it would be enough for me to buy a piece of land. If I do a job, I have a knack for spending all the money I got, so I always try to buy something for myself at least, I would say I used part of that money to buy one thing. So I would rather buy hair extension. I am a weave-on freak. But then, it is not just on hair extensions. I just like to have a different hair-do every two weeks. Sometimes, I can carry a style for a week and I go to the salon to change it. I like to indulge myself when it comes to my hair. There was a time I calculated the money I spent on hair extensions and I said to myself, ‘this is not funny at all.’ But I have repented; I will not do it again.

What else do you indulge in?

I love perfumes. I have so many bottles. But then, I don’t always buy them. If anybody I know travels and makes the mistake of asking me what he/she could buy for me as a gift, I would quickly say I would want a bottle of perfume.

Are there times you wish you were slimmer?

Why should I be slim? Can everybody sing? Everybody cannot be slim as well. I have always been on the chubby side and African men like to have something to hold. I cannot be slim. What matters most is for you to be healthy and for you to exercise. I do brisk-walking every morning.

But your size must have stopped you from wearing some stuff?

No way. I would tell my tailor to make the stuff for me in my size. But I still say I will not wear ‘show belle’ and hot miniskirt. I can wear knickers in the house but not outside the house.

But guys find such sexy…

Is it for every man or just for one man? He will see me wear such in the house. What kind of man would want to make me a spectacle for everybody?

Do you patronise Nigerian designers?

I do at times but maybe not the known names. I like to buy already made stuffs. If I need anything custom made, an ‘Iya Risi’ tailor can make it for me.

Are you a shoe freak?

I am. My house is littered with so many pairs of shoes.

Are your nails natural or do you go for artificial nails?

I always fix my nails. My hair and my nails go together. But now, my nails are natural. I almost got wounded recently when I was cleaning fish.

How much can you spend on your hair?

You really want to expose me. You know how much they charge in salons to retouch hair. And this is minus the hair pieces. No, you will not expose me. But then, it is all part of our job. Do you want somebody to write that Essence ‘re-rocked’ this particular hair style at an event?

Are you saying you don’t re-rock your dresses?

That is why you have separates. If I wear this bottom on one top, I could wear same on another top and nobody would know it’s same. If it is a dress, I would accessorise and it would look different. That is everybody’s trick. Even if you have all the money to buy clothes every day, you would get tired. I am not a shopaholic. I hate trying on dresses in a shop. So why would I be killing myself to buy and buy, am I being paid appearance fee?

If you are asked to do a cosmetic surgery, which part of your body would you choose?

I may have to choose my bum. I am just joking, don’t mind me. God has been good to me. I don’t see any reason I should fix what is not broken.

What of skin ‘toning’ or bleaching?

It depends on what the person wants. But I would continue to say things should be done in moderation. Your father and mother are very dark skinned and suddenly, you start looking like a half caste. But then, you cannot bleach your womb and as such, your children will not be half caste unless you marry oyinbo.

What is happening to your music career?

I am on break. I am re-strategising. Companies re-strategise all the time. You would see a beverage company dumping one bottle and coming out with another one. I think an artiste should do that periodically. They do it everywhere in the world. But I am still recording. I am experimenting with new styles.

Do we see you coming out with different genre of music?

You will see the real Essence. RandB is prevalent and I am older and wiser, I will do a great music that will not be for everybody. I will streamline myself to a particular audience and stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for Konga affiliate program HERE and get up to 9% discount on every purchase

Personal Information 
Additional Information